Tannu Lodge #346

Nevada Area Council







 

About Tannu Lodge #346

 

In 1946 the Nevada Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, chartered the Wiyaka Lodge, Order of the Arrow, to replace the Tribe of Nacopen as the councils Honor Camper Society. Wiyaka, the Sioux word for feather, was chosen by camp director Larry Lake and was used as the Lodge name until 1961. In 1961, after a rather stagnant period, the lodge underwent a period of restructuring, and a new name and totem were deemed in order, something more reflective of our area. The Pronghorn Antelope was chosen as the new totem and Tannu, the Shosone-Paiute word for antelope or deer became the new lodge name.

During the 1960s the lodge grew in membership, and, as one of the larger Lodges in the old Area 12-C, we hosted the Area 12-C Conference at Galena Creek. As the Lodge prospered, our ability to fulfill our mission in promoting Scout camping grew as well. In 1972 we earned the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award for excellence in our promotion of the camping program. During the mid-1970′s the lodge experienced another downswing in membership and activity but rebounded under new leadership toward the end of the decade.

In 1974 we hosted the W3B Conclave at Sky Tavern. In 1982 the Lodge received the E. Urner Goodman Award for the second time, a feat considered quite rare. In 1986 Tannu Lodge hosted the Section W3B Conclave at Stead, Nevada. Now well into the 21st century, we of Tannu are proud of our past and looking forward to the future. In 1996, we hosted the Section W3B Conclave at NAS Fallon and celebrated our 50th anniversary.